Mens Second XI vs Pembroke Wanderers Fifth XI

Our seconds team played away to Pembroke Wanderers for an evening fixture with a start time that suited nobody, being under a mile from the Aviva with the same starting time as the rugby international.  Laden down with kit bags and thoughts of where to play everybody Andrew Melbourne Captained the side for the first time, taking over from Brian Ramussen who was unable to continue with work commitments.  It was a very mixed team, experience wise.  One flank had about 20 matches under their belt and the other flank had about 900.  We had three players in our squad of twelve having played three times or less.

Pembroke are a side which I have always enjoyed playing against and once again took to the field with their patient, passing style of play.  They made very few unforced errors.  The game started well with us taking the lead early in the match after a quick fire pass from Pistol Pete and a strong finish from Marc Watters. Pembroke, undeterred by the score line continued to look for openings.  Our keeper, Sheamus was alert to shots rifled in and made important saves in the first half, conceding one after a fast counter attack.

Our experienced players gave a master class in passing with Freddie Murray (a club founder) and Stephen O’Neill causing trouble on the right.  Our solid centre with Marc Watters and Chain Saw Cooper cancelled out any hopes Pembroke had of forcing the game.  Stephen Wiltshire snuck up the pitch from the back to take control of the game with two excellent goals, and then gave away a penalty flick near the end of the game to make things interesting.  Pembroke refused to give us and Sheamus had to fling himself into the air to stop a shot destined to ripple the back netting. Our defence and keeper showed resolve and wisdom, far above what would have been expected with their experience of the game, our midlands connection with hurling certainly means players can transition from that sport with ease…

The match could be summed up as a selfless game, with very few solos runs, lots of passing and everybody being aware of their responsibilities.

Final Score 3-2

Man of the match: Sheamus Redmond